Have you done teeth whitening and your doctor recommends a white diet? You want to know the exact checklist of foods that dentists recommend not to eat on a white diet. What can replace products with color pigments? Experts told us about this and many other things.
The white diet is a special type of food in which a person consumes non-coloring foods, that is, without a pronounced pigment. The so-called clear diet is prescribed after teeth whitening. Patients are recommended to follow a colorless diet in order to consolidate the effect, maintain the resulting color of tooth enamel for as long as possible and protect it from the effects of various substances. Also, a white diet should be followed when doing home whitening.
Clinical case with a transparent diet: a patient planned to have teeth whitening at home. I received special products from dentistry (mouthguard with gel), consulted by a dentist. It is recommended to follow a colorless diet for the entire whitening period (approx. One week) and at the end of the course for a further 7-10 days.
Adhering to a colorless diet is important not only to maintain the effect of the procedure. You shouldn't do additional tests on the tooth enamel, which after whitening is somehow weakened and has a porous structure. In two to three weeks of the white diet, tooth enamel will be restored and you can return to your usual way of life, but with certain nuances in the pigment content of the products.
How strict is it to follow a white diet?
Diet as much as possible. For example, products with colored pigments should be avoided for 2 to 3 weeks after the procedure so that the effects last for a long time on a white diet.
As part of the white diet, experts also advise gradually introducing healthy habits: giving up red wine, coffee or black tea in whole or in part, drinking colored drinks through a straw and replacing the same tea with kefir or milk.
Notice! Pigments are not terrible for healthy enamel, and if micro-damage is inevitable after bleaching, dyes can penetrate deeply into the enamel and discolor it.
The most important thing about a white diet is paying attention to the color of the food. In terms of quantity, type of food, there are no strict dietary restrictions.
What can you eat with a white diet after bleaching? Finished product line
Design your white diet so that you eat not only "colorless" foods (bananas, milk, cottage cheese), but the most beneficial for your teeth. In particular, foods high in fluoride and calcium, vitamins C, A, E are useful, and such a healthy white diet has a positive effect on the condition of tooth enamel and immunity in general.
TOP 10 food groups for the white diet:
- Dairy products without coloring (for example, if it is yogurt, then without fillers, light): cottage cheese, milk, yogurt, butter, hard cheese, curd mass;
- Fish and various seafood: marine and marine fish, octopus, and scallops are particularly useful. Always read the ingredients to make sure the products do not contain any coloring.
- Fruits: pears, green apples (preferably not raw, but baked), bananas. It is important that the fruit is not acidic and does not irritate the enamel.
- Poultry (turkey, chicken) and soy products with a colorless diet;
- Bakery and pasta;
- Cauliflower, white cabbage, Brussels sprouts;
- Protein, avocados are ideal foods for a transparent diet and overall health;
- Porridge: rice, semolina, pearl barley;
- Steamed asparagus, celery is not just a diet, it's a proper diet.
Notice! If in doubt about any of the white diet foods listed, just heat it. For example, if you want to cook a dish with Brussels sprouts but find it too green, steam it or in the oven.
The presented hit list with 10 products of a colorless diet allows you to eat well for several weeks, to get all the nutrients, but not to risk bleached teeth.
Also, keep an eye on the temperature of the food for the diet. It should be warm, but not hot or cold, so as not to endanger the enamel.
What Exactly Is Not Recommended To Eat With A White Diet? Stop list of products
The white diet excludes the following foods from the diet:
- black and green tea. Incidentally, green tea forms plaque on your teeth very quickly. This product should also be removed from the white diet to prevent your teeth from darkening after whitening.
- light sauces: tomatoes, soy, adjika, ketchup, etc. ;
- Coffee, cocoa - clear diet stop drinks;
- colored fruits: plums, dark grapes, red apples;
- Fruit and vegetable juices, compotes, fruit drinks;
- Chocolate, lollipops, coated tablets;
- Citrus fruits;
- Egg yolk;
- Red wine.
What if you are still off the white diet?
Nothing catastrophic, but the effect of teeth whitening is no longer the most ideal. First, a thin film of pigment plaque will do its job - the color will turn darker. Second, if the requirements of the diet are violated, the same gloss and luster of tooth enamel for which many patients love whitening so much will disappear. Third, the patient will see the difference in the teeth for himself and he will be offended for ruining the aesthetics of a perfect smile for the sake of momentary weakness or inattention. There is also a risk of tooth decay or inflammatory gum disease.
What else can you do besides the white diet?
There are a number of other recommendations in which it will be possible to get the maximum effect of professional or home teeth whitening:
- If possible, do not smoke or minimize the number of cigarettes smoked per day. Gradually reduce the presence of tobacco to nothing.
- Fair sex should do without bright red lipstick for a couple of weeks after teeth whitening - you can use a transparent hygienic gloss.
- After the tooth enamel has been whitened, oral hygiene should be gentle. Basic recommendations: use a soft toothbrush, as well as toothpaste without large abrasive particles, but with a high content of fluoride in the composition.
- In order to maintain the whitening effect, it is worthwhile to clean professionally on a regular basis. We recommend cleaning beforehand after whitening to solve the problem of dental care and proper prophylaxis.
If you follow these recommendations and follow a white diet, you can maintain the white color of your teeth after two years of whitening procedures!